1/29/07

"break the glass!"

Again, taken from the novel By the River Piedra I sat down and wept. Here's a portion of the story na gusto ko ulit i-share. Wala lang, baka interested kayo.

Palitan ko nalang ng "me" yung main character, tapos syempre lalaki ako, kaya ung katambalan ko eh magiging babae na. Lmao!

I could see in her eyes the thousand of times that she had imagined this moment and the scenes she had constructed about us. I wanted to say that yes, she was welcome, that my heart had won the battle. I wanted to tell her how much I loved her and how badly I wanted her at that moment.
But I was silent. I witnessed, as if in a dream, her inner conflict. I could see that she was wondering whether I'd reject her again, that she was thinking about the fear of losing me, and about the hard words he had heard at other, similar times -- because we all have such experiences, and they leave scars.
Hes eyes gleamed. She was ready to surmount any barrier.
I took one of my hands from hers and placed my glass of wine at the edge of the table.
"It's going to fall," She said.
"Exactly, I want you to tip it over the edge."
"Break the glass?"
Yes, break the glass. A simple gesture, but one that brings up faces we can't really understand. What's wrong with breaking an inexpensive glass, when everyone has done so unintentionally at some time in their life?
"Break the glass?" She repeated. "Why?"
"Well, I could give you lots of reasons," I answered. "But actually, just to break it."
"For you?"
"No, of course not."
She eyed the glass on the edge of the table -- worried that it might fall.
It's a rite of passage, I wanted to say. It's something prohibited. Glasses are not purposely broken. In a restaurant or in our home, we're careful not to place glasses by the edge of a table. Our universe requires that we avoid letting glasses fall to the floor.
But when we break them by accident, we realize that it's not very serious. The waiter says, "It's nothing," and when has anyone been charged for a broken glass? Breaking glasses is part of life and does no damage to us, to the restaurant, or to anyone else.
I bumped the table. The glass shook but didn't fall.
"Careful!" She said instinctively.
"Break the glass," I insisted.
Break the glass, I thought to myself, because it's a symbolic gesture. Try to understand that I have broken things within myself that were such more important than a glass, and I'm happy I did. Resolve your own internal battle, and break the glass.
Our parents taught us to be careful with glasses and with our bodie. they taught us that the passions of childhood are impossible, that we should not flee from priests, that people cannot perform miracles, and that no one leaves on a journey without knowing where they are going.
Break the glass, please -- and free us from all this damned rules, from needing to find an explanation for everything, from doing only what others approve of.
"Break the glass," I said again.
She stared at me. Then, slowly, she slid his hand long the tablecloth to the glass. And with a sudden movement, he pushed it to the floor.
The sound of the breaking glass caught the waiter's attention. Rather than apologize for having broken the glass, she looked at me, smiling -- and I smiled back.
"Doesn't matter," shouted the waiter.

--

I just had the thought of sharing it, for what? Maybe for some that are afraid of something... Some that are no sure on what to do. Naapektuhan ako sa part na yan, there's so much in my life na alam kong mali ang nagawa ko. But it didn't make me fall, thus, I stood and faced more trials in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello! great post!
I also love the work of Paulo Coelho!!!! Do you know that he has a newsletter?
http://www.warriorofthelight.com/engl/index.html
You can also go to his blog and comment with other readers your
impressions... http://www.paulocoelhoblog.com
it's simply wonderful!
Best wishes!